Remember Ritu? I shared her recipe for the ” Sprouts Salad in Baked Potatoes Basket” a few weeks ago here. As I mentioned earlier, Ritu had been working on her site and she recently went live with her super awesome Love Served Daily . Today I am sharing one of her recipes from the blog but do not forget to visit the beautiful blog and show your love and support.
Double Chocolate Banana Bread
I am not such a big fan of banana. In fact the only way I like to eat them is munching on some banana chips. I have been searching for a good banana bread recipe for a long time to use those over ripe bananas that go bad because no one really wants to them in my house. When I came across this recipe at Bake with Christina, I knew I had to try it. It had double chocolate which means double the happiness for me. What better way to use those over ripe bananas then to hide them in a chocolate bread. This bread came out delicious. Thank you Christina. I cant wait to bring some more bananas just to get them real ripe and make this again.
Here is my adaption of her recipe.
- All purpose flour – 1 cup (Feel free to substitute with whole wheat flour. The bread would be just more dense)
- Cocoa powder – 1/2 cup
- Sugar – 1/2 cup (The original recipe said 3/4 cup but my bananas were too ripe and sweet so I reduced it)
- Baking Soda – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Over Ripe Bananas – 3 large
- Egg – 1 large
- Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
- Melted butter or Oil – 1/2 cup
- Chocolate Chips – 1/2 cup (The original recipe said 1 cup, I have cut that down so it doesn’t get overly sweet)
- A few more chocolate chips for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 350 F and line a 9×5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper or spray it well with cooking spray.
- Sift all the dry ingredients – flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- Mash the bananas with a fork or in a blender. It would total about a cup of banana puree. Add in the egg, melted butter, sugar and vanilla extract.
- Now mix the dry ingredients with the wet ones, gently with a spatula making sure not to over mix. Just mix till everything is well incorporated and you do not see the dry ingredients any more, then stop.
- Slowly fold in the chocolate chips, leaving some for garnishing.
- Pour this batter in your loaf pan and sprinkle some chocolate chips on top.
- Bake this in your oven for about 55 minutes or till a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
- Once done, let it cool for 10 minutes in the pan before inverting it out on a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Cut this into slices and enjoy. It tastes delicious warm and right out of the oven.
- If you do have any left overs, keep it in an air tight container, at room temperature for no more than 4 days. Though, trust me, it won’t last that long.
So there you have it, one of the most delicious ways to enjoy bananas. And if you like chocolate as much as I do, this is as good as a trip to heaven. Go ahead, make some today. You will love it. I promise.